Understanding Digital Storytelling
In this curriculum, we will challenge students to use smartphones and video editing apps or software to create a digital story. Participants will explore social issues through a citizen journalism project. The goal of this project is to construct a PSA on an issue that is important to you.
Throughout the curriculum, marketing projects, short documentary films and even location-based projects will be highlighted. Projects from other filmmakers will be referenced to watch on our partner site MusicOrigins.org. Students will also be provided opportunities to publish their own work on this site.
Educators will learn to help students utilize simple and inexpensive tools to communicate their ideas effectively and tell meaningful stories in personal ways their peers will appreciate. Educators will find facilitation tips and strategies along with other resources to enable them to facilitate the lessons.
In the course you will:
- Learn about effective digital storytelling
- Analyze how short films can be used as marketing tools
- Explore the components needed to create a short video message on a specific subject
- Evaluate the factors that go into creating an effective, high-quality video using inexpensive digital tools like smartphones
- Create a PSA that can be used as a tool for social change or a promo video to market a project or product